Thursday, January 10, 2013

Apple Pie

 The girls really love the silly stories of Amelia Bedelia. Apparently so do other kids and teachers use these books to cover many different lessons in the English Language(lots of ideas on pinterest). There is now a new series where Amelia is a little girl. I put a bunch of books on hold at the library which have served as our independent reading books this week but I saved one particular book to do a fun activity with.

I read Amelia Bedelia's First Apple Pie to them and then the girls made their own apple pies. I didn't bring any pie pans with me so we made hand pies instead. I bought several different apples so we could look at the differences in apples.

 The girls each took turns using the apple slicer to slice up their apple and then I cut them into small chunks.

They added cinnamon, butter, and truvia to their apples and mixed everything together.
They enjoyed putting the mixture onto their pre-made pie crusts and then folding them over and pinching them.

 We put them in the oven and they tried to wait patiently. While they waited we talked about the words in the book that had multiple meanings and also about the meanings of figure of speech sayings.
Then they finally got to enjoy their pie. This was an awesome way to have an English lesson!

No comments: