Saturday, October 20, 2012

Camp Out

The girls and I are new to American Heritage Girls but I am already loving the program and the opportunities this group is going to provide for us. I loved being a Girl Scout and especially going camping. But as an Adult I wasn't overly thrilled with the Girl Scout program. I didn' find that it was promoting the characteristics and focus I wanted for my girls' lives. Well, I know other moms feel the same way because this is how American Heritage Girls got started. We joined only this past month but we have already been given this long list of activities, trips and so on that the girls can join in on. The most exciting of which was our first camp out. It was a bit concerned about the camp out at first because leadership kept falling through but a couple moms and myself stepped up to take the girls out for the weekend.
 We drove alittle over an hour to David Crockett State Park in TN. The fall colors were beautiful and the drive was very peaceful. We camped at the scout site which was perfect. We had a pavilion, bathrooms and places to set up our tent. There were deer that would come through the site which was fun to watch.
 It was pretty cold the first night so after foil chicken dinners, smores, and hot chocolate by an awesome fire, we all snuggled into bed for the night.
 In the morning, the girls made pancakes and then warmed their feet up by the fire.




 The girls worked on their outdoor cooking skills and fire safety badge.

 We took an awesome hike to a waterfall.




 PF learned how to use a saw.
 Butterfly made an awesome play set out of acorns which kept her and Dragonfly entertained for the rest of the day.
We had a wonderful weekend and can't wait for the family camp out in April. I will have to skip the next camping trip in March unless of course I think at that point that delivering while camping is a great idea....very unlikely!

No comments: